As a trainee in the Directorate-General (DG) for the Presidency you will be part of a DG which has a crucial role in a wide spectrum of the EP's activities. Our DG is involved in the legislative process from the very beginning, when the legislative initiatives are submitted to the EP, and throughout the process, during which our lawyer linguists ensure the quality of the legislative texts, accompanying Members and parliamentary committees in their work. We are in charge of the organisation and documentation of the Plenary sessions too, and also we deal with the relations with other EU institutions and National parliaments. Furthermore, our DG provides services to the Members both regarding administrative matters and their political activity, i.a. parliamentary questions to the other institutions. We are also at the service of citizens and the public, dealing with public access to documents and relations with interest representatives (“lobbies”), and we are responsible for the official mail of the President and the Secretary General. The EP’s Protocol service, dealing i.a. with the reception of visiting personalities and delegations and the preparation of visits by the President and the main EP bodies outside Parliament is also part of our DG.
The present traineeship offer has been issued by the Directorate for Legislative Acts (DLA).
The DLA is a unique service within DG Presidency that deals primarily with legislative files, from the moment they are referred by the Commission to the European Parliament and until they are sent to the publication in the Official Journal.
With more than 80 lawyer-linguists, representing all the official languages of the Union, our mission is to ensure at all stages of the parliamentary procedure the highest possible quality of legislative texts in all languages.
Our core activities are the legal-linguistic finalisation of draft legislative texts and the provision of drafting and procedural assistance to Members of the European Parliament and to parliamentary committees. We value team work, openness and mutual respect, and pride ourselves with the generally recognised high quality and professionalism of our work.
As a trainee in the BG team of the DLA, you will actively participate in the following DLA core activities:
- legal-linguistic finalisation of the BG version of legislative acts adopted by Parliament and the Council through the ordinary legislative procedure;
- examination of Commission proposals, attendance of parliamentary committee meetings, attendance of file-related internal meetings and provision of assistance to your supervisor when responding to legislative drafting requests from Members of Parliament or from parliamentary committees;
- preparation and publication of the BG version of all texts adopted by Parliament during its Plenary sessions in Strasbourg and Brussels.
Applicants for traineeships in the DLA must meet the following requirements:
- a very good knowledge of EU law
- C2 level (CEFR) command of the Bulgarian
- having complete university studies attested by a diploma in Law
- a thorough knowledge of at least three official languages of the Union (mother tongue and two more official languages of the Union, out of which one must be English at level C1. (Note: The original versions of the documents handled by the DLA are drafted almost entirely in English and are used as a basis for legal-linguistic revision in the other languages.)
No professional experience is required.