Sub domain :
Translation and Editing
Starting date :
01/10/2022 (5 months)
Who we are
The Directorate-General for Translation (DG TRAD) provides the European Parliament with translation services for its written or electronic communication in all official languages of the European Union.
Our mission is:
- To make available in all official languages all documents relating to Parliament’s role as co-legislator and one of the two arms of the budgetary authority, in order to ensure the legitimacy and transparency of the legislative and budgetary process of the European Union;
- To enable the European Parliament to meet its commitment to the policy of multilingualism, designed to ensure the equal treatment of languages and permitting all citizens of the European Union to communicate with the institutions and have access to the documents of those institutions in their own language;
- To support the Members of the European Parliament and its administration in their multilingual communication with citizens by providing high-quality, modern, multilingual services in text, audio and video and ensuring that content is clear and in all the official languages of the EU;
- To ensure that all these services are supplied as efficiently and effectively as possible;
The Directorate for Citizens' Language, within DG TRAD, is responsible for the following non-procedural units: Clear Language and Editing, Subtitling and Voice-Over, Audio and Podcast, Speech-to-text, My House of European History.
As a Greek Intercultural and Language Professional trainee in the Clear Language and Editing Unit, you will have the opportunity to translate into Greek texts dealing with the different areas of activity of the European Union and in particular texts intended for the general public. You will also have the opportunity to subtitle audiovisual material in Greek and translate podcasts.
You will be part of a cross-unit pool of Intercultural and Language Professionals responsible for all linguistic tasks in 24 languages.
You will work under the supervision of a language professional-mentor, who will guide you, teach you the current workflows and procedures, and revise your work as necessary. This will give you the opportunity to learn, to improve your linguistic work and to benefit as much as possible from your traineeship. Additionally, depending on the projects the Directorate-General is currently undertaking, you may also be asked to adapt or modify texts in different formats, for example audio files, website content, etc.
As a prospective language professional trainee:
- You have a perfect (native-speaker equivalent) command of Greek;
- You have an in-depth knowledge of English and/or French and a very good knowledge of at least one of the other official EU languages;
- You would like to learn more about and practise using clear language;
- You possess strong team-working and communication skills, which will enable you to work as part of a team of language professionals;
- You have experience with, or are keen to learn how to use, CAT tools, especially SDL Studio.
If you are interested, please send a motivation letter in Greek (max. 600 words) explaining why you are interested in this particular post and what you could contribute to our team. Please also submit any relevant supporting documents (university diplomas, course transcripts, etc.), as well as a copy of your CV in English. The motivation letter and the supporting documents are to be uploaded as a single PDF file.
We look forward to hearing from you.